Today, the death of Your Move Games truly sinks in; it is Monday, the day for our weekly VTES meeting. We'll be in Pandemonium which won't feel like "home" yet.
It got me to thinking; one of the reasons Your Move closed down was that it was not profitable as a store. Makes sense, actually.
So what if there were a "gaming store" that wasn't a store at all? If I had the capital, I wonder if this would make money. Here are my dream features of My Game Store:
* We rent tables. From the round ones all the way up to The Sultan. Cost depends on the tables; we can also supply tablecloths or you can bring your own.
* We have clean and well-maintained bathroom facilities.
* We have quality Air Conditioning and Heating.
* We have demo games available for people to play.
* We can host special events, and we allow you to advertise.
* We have (non-free, but secure) wifi, and possibly a small bank of Internet Cafe style computers.
* We have at least one soundproof room with a door that closes.
* We are open as early/late as local laws allow.
* We have NO VIDEO GAMES.
* We do not sell games ourselves, but we will special-order items.
* We will ship your gaming things or allow you to ship things to us. (This led me to think, maybe there's a UPS Store inside the place that is a source of income from the general public)
Is this a realistic fantasy? For now, it's just a dream; I don't have money or time to open a new business, but I wonder if it would work.